Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Girl With All The Answers

Apparently I always think I’m right. This at least is what I have recently been told by two people close to me. I always think I’m right. Of course this observation from them is just dripping with pejorative undertones and overtones and around-all-the-sides-tones. This is apparently a deep flaw in my personality.

I always think I’m right. How dare I.

So… I got to thinking, what exactly is wrong with thinking I’m right? Thinking I am right means simply that I have come to a conclusion about some particular topic which we happen to be discussing. I have done the requisite research where applicable, I have made the requisite observations, I have investigated my feelings about the matter and I have formed an opinion that suits me. By extension it would be fair and safe to say that I believe my opinion on the matter to be correct. That doesn’t mean it is not subject to change based on new evidence, it doesn’t mean that I’m not willing to hear another side to the matter nor does it indicate that I am not willing to change my opinion. It means that at this moment in time at the start of this conversation between you and me this is the hypothesis that I bring to the table regarding this matter and yes, at this moment I think I am right. It also does not mean that after hearing your new evidence, your opinions, your arguments that I won’t continue to think I am right.

I suspect that this observation of theirs about me is pretty accurate and I suspect that it is because by the time I am ready to offer an opinion on a topic I have made thoughtful consideration and I am ready to adopt my point of view and sometimes I am ready to share that point of view. If we are talking about the mating habits of sloths then I’m generally apt to keep my mouth shut because I don’t know the first thing about the mating habits of sloths.

If thinking I'm right is wrong than I don't want to be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment