Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Art of Listening

Someday I will remember that when somebody talks to me, when somebody has something on their mind and chooses to come to me with it that I must listen. No… I mean really listen. Close my mouth and L.I.S.T.E.N.

Not
Start thinking about what I think
Start offering solutions
Start offering the other side of the story
Try to fix it
Try to minimize it
Make a joke
Change the subject

Just... listen. Listen to what is being said, keeping in mind that sometimes merely being allowed the space to say what is on one’s mind is worth everything.

5 comments:

  1. I struggle with this all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning to listen is a conscious activity requiring effort. Who woulda thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post jss.

    I lose count of the amount of times a friend has come to me to talk and I have done some of the things on your list... The 'what-not-to-dos'.

    Nothing quite like knowing what it is that a person needs and then somehow managing to mess it up anyway.

    Listening is a pretty demanding activity when it's done properly I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi WS, you know funny thing is we really don't know what a person needs until we start listening to ourselves which, as we sometimes so painfully become aware, is the last person we generally listen to.

    ReplyDelete